Sunday, July 19, 2009

Summer Lemonade Pie

I mentioned in my last post that I had attended a cooking demonstration at Amics. The group that I went with was the MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) Steering Team, so Anne found some Mom/Kid Friendly recipes to share with us. Recipes that are quick and easy for Mom's to make and also easy to include your kids in the cooking process if you want to. This one only has FOUR ingredients...gotta love that!!

SUMMER LEMONADE PIE (makes 8 servings)
1 can (6 oz) frozen lemonade concentrate - part thawed
2 cups softened vanilla ice cream
1 tub whipped topping - thawed
1 graham cracker crust

1. Beat lemonade concentrate in large bowl on low speed with electric mixer for about 30 seconds.



2. Add ice cream 1 cup at a time, beating until well blended. (This is my ice cream "softening" before I added it to electric mixer bowl.)


3. Stir in whipped topping until smooth.


4. Spoon into crust, making a pretty top with rubber spatula. (I don't know how "pretty" mine turned out, but it worked!)


5. Freeze 4 hours or overnight until firm. Let stand at room temperature when ready to eat until pie can be sliced with a knife. Enjoy by your pool on a hot summer day!
THAT'S IT!! Told you it was SUPER EASY!!
A few things I learned along the way...
1. Anne made hers with Breyer's Vanilla ice cream and I must admit that hers tasted better. The generic tasted fine (REALLY it did), mine just seemed a little more sour.
2. She had a container of water next to her when she cut the pie. She would dip the knife in between cuts, this rinses it AND allows for easier slicing of a frozen pie (GENIOUS!).
3. You can substitute lime juice concentrate for the lemonade concentrate if you want a key lime flavored pie. My husband thought you could then put cherry pie filling on top for a "cherry limeade" pie. Hmmm...not sure about that, but it might be worth a shot!
4. When I put it in the crust, we had some leftover. I thought I would make popsicles for the kids. Just wanted to let you know that this DID NOT work!! ;) The ice cream is too soft and the stick just pulls right out. Thinking a better option would be to put in cups and freeze, then give the kids graham cracker sticks to dip in it and eat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment