Monday, January 10, 2011

Jute Lamp - Before and After



We got this crystal lamp when we got married...13 years ago. When we registered for it, yes REGISTERED for it, I thought it would be one of those timeless pieces that you pass on from generation to generation. It's really a beautiful crystal, but it goes with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in our entire house. I couldn't just get rid of it, so I decided to help it match our decor. I know, this is where some of you are cringing. I did the same at first.




The thing is it has had a crack in it since we received it and the brass was starting to turn. PLUS at this moment, I'm not a fan of brass. Again, sorry.



The first step was to make the lamp look like Superman! Kidding. I wrapped the crystal before spray painting it with Rubbed Oil Bronze paint. I know, it seems weird to worry about getting paint on it if I'm just going to cover it anyway. BUT, I was thinking into the future a bit. It is pretty underneath and someday someone is going to think that the jute lamp is HIDEOUS. They will wonder why anyone EVER covered up a crystal lamp with brown jute and will be excited when they remove the paint to find shiny brass underneath. Times and trends change...I'm making it easier for the DIYer of the future. :)



I love the new paint job! Then I started with the jute. I just hot glued it on as I went. 2-3 inches of glue, then wrapped the jute on top, pressing down gently. Repeat this about 1000 times. Seriously, I think it took me about 2 hours to wrap the whole thing!





Tada!! I LOVE IT!!! It's now at home, next to my bed.



I have plans to redo our Master Bedroom (and yes, giving that table a little attention is on the list). I was having trouble finding my groove to begin working on it. The lamp project was just what I needed!! I'm ready for a full bedroom BEFORE and AFTER!!!



Today's Creative Blog

5 comments:

  1. MUCH better...even if you had to cover up the crystal. Way to be brave and make it work for your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOO much better! What a great idea for an old crystal lamp! www.keepitsimpleyay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out just beautiful, I love it!! I featured you today at Creations by Kara. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super idea! (One of those "Why didn't I think of that?" ones.) Was giving serious thought to putting my crystal lamp out for "garage sale" ~ will wrap it instead!! Thanx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete